Foodiva's Kitchen: Blood Orange Onde-Onde with Dark Chocolate Filling

Monday, March 28, 2011

Blood Orange Onde-Onde with Dark Chocolate Filling

won't you celebrate with me
what i have shaped into
a kind of life? i had no model.
born in babylon
both nonwhite and woman
what did i see to be except myself?
i made it up
here on this bridge between
starshine and clay,
my one hand holding tight
my other hand; come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed.

won't you celebrate with me by Lucille Clifton



When I think of sunny skies and a lightness in the air, I think of onde-onde, a favorite childhood dessert. Made of glutinous rice flour and filled with anything from nuts, sweet bean paste to palm sugar, with a decadent coating of grated coconut, these fresh, round dumplings are for me the epitome of simpler days, of happiness. My mother used to make onde-onde in the traditional pandan (green) flavor, filled with brown palm sugar that just melts in your mouth.  I opted to fill mine with chocolate because it won't be a Foodiva recipe if I didn't sex things up a bit!

I also added blood orange juice into the mix because I figured it would give a pretty, baby pink coloring and a subtle citrus fragrance to the overall dessert. In case you didn't already know it (although I can’t imagine why?), pink, citrus and chocolate go very well together… yes, they do.

The best thing about this dessert is that it can be made within minutes, with no baking involved. You only need to boil the onde-onde balls for about a minute before they are cooked and ready to eat!



The second best thing is what happens as you take a bite out of the soft, chewy onde-onde. Its contents spew out, then you start to feel and taste the sweet, dark chocolate oozing slowly onto your tongue. Sensory-wise, it's right up there fully approved by Dionysus (Greek God of Earthly Delights). Taste-wise, it's pretty good, too. Come on... you get chocolate, peanut, coconut and yes, blood orange flavors in one go! And that's before you even swallow.


Blood Orange Onde-Onde with Dark Chocolate Filling
Ingredients:
1 cup glutinous flour
2/3 cups blood orange juice
200g dark chocolate, chopped into 1/2cm chunks
1 cup dessicated coconut flakes

Method:
1. In a large bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour with blood orange juice and knead lightly to form a dough.
2. Pinch a small piece of the dough (about 1/4 of it) and drop it into a pot of boiling water. When the dough rises up the surface, remove it with a slotted spoon and shake off the excess water. Mix it back into the main dough and knead well to form smooth dough.(Adding cooked to uncooked dough stabilizes the whole dough). Cover the dough and set aside for about 15 minutes.
3. Bring the pot of water to boil again. Pinch a small piece of dough (about a tablespoon) and flatten lightly. Fill the center of the dough with about 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate. Pull the dough up to cover the chocolate, and pinch to seal the dough. Roll in your palm to form a smooth ball and drop about 5-6 glutinous rice balls at a time into the boiling water. When the rice balls float to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and shake off the excess water. I usually tap the spoon on an absorbent paper towel.
4. Coat the rice balls with coconut by rolling them in the flakes. Serve immediately. Also keeps for 2 days, covered, at room temperature.
 

25 comments:

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

How delightful and creative! Chocolate and orange go together so well. I do love the pandan onde-onde with gula Melaka. Made it twice and hope to make it again soon :)

Sandra said...

Wonderful recipe, presentation and these little balls looks so delicious! Stunning photos!

Roxan said...

These look so delicious! I get the feeling I would have a hard time with it though. I'd probably make a huge mess out of the kitchen!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sandra and Biren!

Unknown said...

Roxan, do you see me thrashing my kitchen here? NO! These are honestly the easiest filled dumplings you can make in the shortest amount of time. And you can be really creative with the flavors and filling, that's the best part :-).

Anonymous said...

hi! diva ur recipe is looks delicious! nice photo.

Anonymous said...

I always smile when I see the two cups of tea at the top of your header = )

Dimah said...

That looks wonderful and delicious! great photos!

cakewhiz said...

Those are so cute... they look like a better version of cakeballs!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Oh amazing and decadent, love blood oranges and with a chocolate pairing, sublime!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

Ohhh! These look scrumdelyicious. I love you made something from childhood. Your cooking/baking never ceases to ahhmaze and inspire me. I always look forward to what you're going to whip up next. XOXO

Magic of Spice said...

I love that poem...I have never had these treats but they look and sound wonderful :)

Carolyn said...

You really come up with the most amazing things. I am so intrigued!

Unknown said...

Jenny, I misread your comment at a glance. I thought you said these balls were scandalicious! Hahaha, you corrupt me, girl!

Unknown said...

Alisha, isn't that poem something else? It resonates with me and lifts me up during my lowest moments... That someone can articulate how I feel this accurately is simply amazing!

Unknown said...

I love love love love this recipe. Did I say, I love this recipe.

Nancy said...

Maya this is a fantastic combination of flavors. You are so right chocolate and citrus were made for each other. The onde-onde not only have an adorable name but look so tasty!

Harvesting for Life said...

Oh my goodness! This looks SO good! Love the idea, and who doesn't love chocolate and orange combined!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Looks so so good. I am so tempted to make these but afraid that I will eat it all by myself!

Sarah said...

I love all of those things. CAN NOT WAIT to try this recipe!

Victoria said...

Maya, this looks crazy easy to make and definitely impressive! I've never heard of these, but I'm a big fan of mixed textures in my food. Would love to try these.

ray said...

Wow! I've never had this dish before and it looks very yummy. This is definitely on my to do list. Thank you for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I've never had Onde Onde, but this looks wonderful!

art is in the kitchen said...

Maya, your onde onde is most unique and exquisite! With such fusion of flavors and textures, one will have an unforgettable eating experience for sure. Got to make these for my friends too. Cheers!!!

Juliana said...

Wow, this is so creative...glutinous flour...I already like it since love everything with glutinous flour. Sure the orange gives the "boring" glutinous flour some color and flavor :-) Have a great week ahead!

Related Posts with Thumbnails