Foodiva's Kitchen: Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter PieCupcake

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter PieCupcake

The difference between success and failure can often be humility. There is a fine line between unique and weird, there is also a fine line between confidence and ego. Careful that you don’t cross it, because as soon as you do the path could easily lead to failure.

~ Brad Moore

Back in January, I came across this jawdropping dessert on Making Life Delicious blog and what it was essentially was a pie  baked inside a decadent chocolate cake. The Chocolate Pecan PieCake was made to celebrate in the new year and the recipe was posted on January 1st, 2011 (1/1/11). It was over-the-top special, yet in my mind the dessert oscillated back and forth in between OMG! and WTF??

The banana peanut butter pie-making process

That piecake has fascinated as well as haunted me for nearly 6 months, and today I finally broke down and gave in to the obsession. I thought about recreating the same pecan piecake recipe but as it turned out, there were some hitches. I didn't have any pecans for a start, and neither did I have a shallow pie pan that fitted right smack in the middle of a larger round baking pan. As if that was going to stop me, though. I did have bananas and that ever staple jar of peanut butter, and I did own a mini-pie/tart baking tray.

So under the duress of having to improvise, I decided to make the second most eccentric thing from the piecake...ie. piecupcakes. Yes, those tiny pies would fit just nicely inside regular cupcakes!


The concept was easy enough to understand and execute. The mini banana and peanut butter cream pies were baked first. Once they were cooked and cooled, they were placed over a tablespoonful of chocolate cake batter (mainly composed of cocoa, strong coffee and melted chocolate...oh heaven on earth!). The pies were then topped with another spoonful of cake batter and baked. When cooled, they were frosted...no, slathered with chocolate ganache. Then it was time to serve and reveal the hidden surprise in the cupcake!



I wish it seemed more complicated than that, but it wasn't. In fact, once I baked and tasted and doled out these piecupcakes, the eccentricity seemed to disappear or maybe they just grew on me. This is slightly scary to admit, but these piecupcakes may be my new normal. The peeps at home certainly enjoyed them, and in return I enjoyed seeing their faces light up as they discovered the hidden banana peanut butter pies. The exact same expression they have whenever they've opened up a special gift and it was something they'd always wanted. Worth the craziness, don't you think?

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter PieCupcake
Makes: 15 PieCupcakes
Ingredients:
Pie Crust
125g all-purpose flour
64g cold butter, cut into cubes
1/2 egg, beaten lightly (use other 1/2 for filling below)

Banana Peanut Butter Pie Filling
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 egg, beaten lightly
1 -2 bananas, sliced into 15 pieces
1 tablespoon caster sugar

Chocolate Cupcake
1/3 cup cocoa
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 salt
1/2 cup (125g) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3oz (85g)dark chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled

Chocolate Ganache
160g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream

Method:
1. Crust: Cut the cold butter into the flour in a bowl until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add ½ the beaten egg and knead into a pliable, non-sticky dough. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before using. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Form 1-inch round balls from the dough and press into the bottom and sides of the mini-pie cups. Trim excess dough from the tops with a knife. Don’t worry if the edges are not perfect, as these pies will be inside the cupcakes anyway. Chill the tray in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
3. Filling: Place the cream, peanut butter and remaining egg in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Take a heaped teaspoon of filling and spoon into a piecrust. Top with a slice of ripe banana and sprinkle the top with caster sugar. Bake pies for 15 minutes until the custard just sets. Leave to cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes.
4. Cupcake: Turn oven temperature down to 180C. Mix cocoa, coffee in the hot water and stir until dissolved. Add the cold water and vanilla, stir and set aside.
5. In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Then whisk in the cooled melted chocolate. Add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the wet cocoa-coffee mixture. Whisk under low speed until well incorporated.
7. Take a tablespoonful of cake batter and place in a muffin cup. Place a mini-pie on top and press gently down so the batter rises up halfway around the pie. Top with another tablespoonful of batter and smooth down over the pie to cover it completely. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are firm and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before frosting.
8. Ganache: Heat the heavy cream in a small pan on medium heat until it just starts to boil (or microwave on high for 1 minute). Take the pan off the heat and pour cream over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Leave the mixture to sit for about 2 minutes, then whisk quickly to smoothen out the ganache. Take a piecupcake and dip the top into the ganache. Shake off excess ganache and leave to set on a cooling rack or in the fridge before serving.


40 comments:

Kim - Liv Life said...

OK... this is OMG good!! I love everything about it. All the flavors, the pie in the cupcake,the frosting, all of it! Wonderful job, just amazing!!

the [sugar] apothecary said...

Oh yes, I could definitely get behind this "new normal" of yours! Banana + peanut butter + chocolate is one of those trios you can't resist, especially in Turducken (Bananutocolate?) form!

Unknown said...

Those look soooo awesome!!! I've never heard of that before, but now I'm intrigued... Love the step-by-step photos.

Unknown said...

Kim, LOL and thanks. In my excitement to get this post done before midnight, I forgot to mention how good these piecupcakes tasted! As good as they looked, if not better ;-).

Unknown said...

@Sugar apothecary, bananutocolate? That portmanteau you just created is superiffilicious! (Super terrific and delicious). Oh the craziness we can all come up with....it's endless. And so fun!

Unknown said...

Erin@E.K.R, thanks for stopping by. Well, now you've heard of it, the next thing is I hope you'll jump in and join me in the madness! LOL, let's set a trend here...these piecupcakes are scrumptious ;-).

spcookiequeen said...

These are so wrong, that's why I like you! What the heck, a pie in a cupcake, I haven't seen that one yet, but you might just start some mad trend. Did the crust get soggy?
-Gina-

RavieNomNoms said...

Oh my word! Those are like completely and utterly dangerous!!

Unknown said...

Gina@spcookiequeen, they are so wrong that they're completely RIGHT! LOL... That's a good question, the crust remained dry but probably took on a more cake-like texture. Or maybe we couldn't really tell the difference between cake and crust because we were so ecstatic whilst devouring these monsters!

Unknown said...

Ravie, dangerous is an understatement. They border on the dark side of evil! LOL. But in a good way...

Three-Cookies said...

It looks complex yet so simply to make. Could be a great way to turn leftover cakes into something amazing. I am guessing they disappeared faster than the speed of light!

Erin said...

There is just so much goodness packed into that little thing! Wonderful job!

Ana Helena Campbell said...

Oh my goodness!!!I have to agree, these are absolutely "perigoso" or dangereous. I must try them soon. Thanks for sharing another amazing recipe!!!!!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I will steal your reaction: OMG and WTF? Brilliantly insane! How many napkins to clean one pair of hands after consumming

The Chocolate Priestess said...

What an interesting concept to layer the cupcakes.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, my! These are certainly awesome, Maya!! The look of the icing alone is fabulous...then you add in all the other wonderful components...mmmmmm.

Carolyn said...

This new thing of stuffing cookies with other cookies and cake with pies and such, it blows my mind! I can't partake, of course, unless I want to end up in a diabetic coma, but I love watching it and I LOVE What you did with it. Wow! Buzzed.

Deanna Samaan said...

Mmmmm I am definally pinning and stumling this post!

Sonia said...

Hi There, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

Sandra said...

You are little teaser with the last photo..I just want one bite too!:)))
Look sooo good Maya... definitely delicious!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

deliciously done these are yummy snacks Maya wonderful combination

Ally Lynn said...

Say WHAT?! These are so amazing. I called my boyfriend over to the computer to look at the pictures. Thanks for sharing! I have to try these.

Anonymous said...

Love the glossy look of your chocolate glaze. Great post!

Unknown said...

This combines two of my basic food groups (chocolate and PB) and two of my hubby's food groups (PB and bananas). The key to marital bliss? :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Very rich chocolate ganache! Looks so delicious Maya! I love the layer of ingredients... it's the combination of the taste that must be soooo good! This is a dangerous dessert at my house (mainly because of me!).

Sutapa said...

First time in your blog and just fall in love with your.... yummmmmmm... moist chocolate banana pie cake!

Unknown said...

Rich and dangerous.... this piecupcake sounds like the Godfather of the dessertworld! LOL. To all the boyfriends and husbands who got called over to the computer screen to ogle at this chocolate indulgence, this post is for you. Thanks to everyone for leaving your lovely comments here!

Unknown said...

Evelyn@CEE, no napkins required. We quite happily licked our fingers when we were done eating the piecupcakes! ;-)

Unknown said...

@Tamar1973, you officially win the prize for the best comment on this post, LOL! Your marriage is off to a great start because you guys already have incredible dessert compatibility ;-).

Unknown said...

I think it works beautifully.

Tasty Trix said...

Hahah! You are insane, woman! I mean that in a good way. I can barely wrap my mind around this - your new normal is waaaay out there! xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Joy!

Unknown said...

Trixibella, compliment taken! You know what they say, inspiration often comes in a moment of insanity. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for the rest of my familia), I have many of those insane moments ;-). LOL.

Koci said...

Wow! These look so cool! I have never seen a pie-cake before, but this seriously looks like something I must try. Yum!!

Unknown said...

Koci, just don't let this idea of a pie in a cake/cupcake haunt you for months like it did me. Make it, eat it and get it out of your system pronto! LOL. You wont regret making these, they are unbelievably scrumptious!

Cooking Rookie said...

Such gorgeous cupcakes :-) Yum!

Unknown said...

@Cooking Rookie, thank you! They do taste rather nice ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh darhling, this is super fabulous.. UGH it pains me not being able to eat any, I've got 3kg more to lose and Julian Michael's is kicking my butt.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

I would like a dozen of those all for me. To share with no one. Yes, just for muuuah!! :)

Unknown said...

Jenny babe, you got it! Then let's go to the gym together afterwards, LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails